For the purposes of the applicable law, the Data Controller is the company under the name “Reporters United”, located in Athens, Anaxagora Street no. 3-5, 10552, Business Registration (GEMI) Number 150900301000 (hereinafter referred to as “REPORTERS UNITED”, “we”, “our company”, “our”), which sets out the purposes and methods of processing your personal data, as well as the proper implementation and compliance with the security procedures so as to ensure privacy, integrity and availability of such data.
Optional or compulsory communication of personal data
Communicating your personal data to REPORTERS UNITED when requested in any instance when you use our websites may be essential or mandatory in order to achieve the corresponding purpose (i.e. subscription to our newsletter etc.).
The compulsory or optional nature of the data communication is specified each time – with reference to the specific data requested – at the point of input for each data collection, by marking compulsory information with an asterisk (*).
If you refuse to communicate the information marked as compulsory to REPORTERS UNITED, it will be impossible to achieve the main purpose of the specific data collection or provide any of the services available on our website.
Communicating additional data to REPORTERS UNITED, other than those marked as compulsory, is optional and will not produce any consequences with regard to the main purposes of the collection (such as using the website itself).
What categories of your personal data do we collect
REPORTERS UNITED collects the following categories of your personal data directly from you, based on your explicit consent:
- We collect your name, surname and email address when you subscribe to and consent to receiving our Newsletter.
- We collect your e-mail address for the creation of a “Subscriber – Member” account and then your name and surname for the activation of your Subscription, and in order to send to your e-mail address the payment receipt corresponding to your donation–contribution in terms of subscription. The above information is collected through an associated third-party provider, and in particular “Donorbox Corporation, San Francisco, 3rd St, Suite 900, CA 94103, which in this case acts as data processor of your personal data.
- We collect your credit / debit card details, name, surname, e-mail address and the country from which the financial transaction takes place, in order to process the payment of the donation-contribution in terms of subscription of your choice. In addition, upon completion of the payment of your Subscription, we collect the total value (in euro) of the payment and the date of payment.
- We collect your name, surname, email address, gender (optional), your age, your profession, your city of residency, your phone number and your CV for your participation in specialised training seminars or events organised by our company.
You are solely responsible for the correct submission, accuracy and completeness of the personal data you provide to us.
For what purposes do we collect your personal data
Your personal data, unless otherwise expressly specified in these terms, will be stored:
- If you have only subscribed to our newsletters and you are not a registered subscriber/member, we will keep your personal data until you request to unsubscribe from the relevant list. You may withdraw your consent and unsubscribe from the newsletter list at any time either by contacting our Company at email@example.com, or by selecting the “Unsubscribe” link appearing in each of our emails sent to you. In this case, we will delete your personal data and will not send you newsletters again.
- If you are a registered member / subscriber of our services, your personal data will be kept for as long as your subscription lasts and / or any renewal thereof.
The aforementioned provisions apply if at that period of time there is no special legal obligation requiring us to store your personal data for a potentially longer period of time (eg. regulations for limitations, etc.).
Transfer of your personal data to third parties
REPORTERS UNITED undertakes that it does not make any illegal or improper use of your personal data, and does not transfer in any way and for any reason to any third natural or legal parties the personal data and information of users / visitors without your prior notice and your explicit consent.
Your personal data will be disclosed to third parties only with your explicit consent, except where such disclosure is required by law or required for lawful purposes, for which individual’s consent is not required (for example when we process your personal data to fulfil our contractual obligations, such as the activation of your subscription). In such cases the personal data may be transferred to third parties who will process the data independently and solely for these purposes. Access to these personal data of yours will be available only to people who are under the administration of our company and act only on its behalf, in accordance with the provisions of current legislation, ie employees, associates of REPORTERS UNITED who are responsible for the collection and storage of such data, and are committed to maintain the same level of security and protection of your personal data as we do.
REPORTERS UNITED has also chosen to collaborate with other companies for the processing of the personal data which you provide by giving your explicit consent, for the execution of certain and specific activities. More precisely, those companies have taken over the task of managing, maintaining and developing our website and in general our platform and servers. The company that conducts such operations has been carefully selected, has experienced, capable and trustworthy employees, and offers sufficient guarantees that it abides by the applicable laws and regulations that regulate data processing. Therefore, this company conducts its activities according to the instructions and under the command of REPORTERS UNITED. We verify on a regular basis that it has fulfilled the duties assigned to it and that it continues to offer sufficient guarantees of compliance with the provisions that govern the protection of personal data.
In addition, REPORTERS UNITED has chosen to collaborate with the company Donorbox, which functions under Rebel Idealist LLC and is based in San Francisco USA, which provides the required software for the smooth management of your account and your donations-subscriptions, and in this regard processes on our behalf the personal data that you provide us with your explicit consent. Donorbox provides the appropriate safeguards and compliance measures to ensure an adequate level of protection of personal data transferred outside the EU, which includes standard contractual clauses and certification mechanisms.
– to the STRIPE online transaction provider in order to conclude the respective payment of the subscription fee of your choice, and in particular we will disclose: the full details of your debit / credit card and your e-mail address, your name and surname, the country from which the financial transaction is carried out and the subsequent payment of your Subscription is made, the total value of the payment collected and the date of the payment. Under such a case, STRIPE acts as a data processor for your personal data and in this respect processes the personal data that you provide to us with your explicit consent. STRIPE processes the data in order to conclude the payment of your Subscription. STRIPE is a provider based in the USA and provides the appropriate safeguards and compliance measures to ensure an adequate level of protection of personal data transferred outside the EU, which includes the European Commission’s approved standard contractual clauses.
REPORTERS UNITED is likely to process third-party’s personal data, which can be communicated directly to us by users/visitors themselves, such as when the Subscriber-Member named as donor, is different from the holder of the card which was used for the payment of the donation – sponsorship in terms of subscription.
Technical and Organisational Security measures
However, REPORTERS UNITED cannot guarantee to its visitors/users that the security measures adopted to protect the websites, data transmission and information on the websites in general, limit or exclude any risk of unauthorised access or dispersion of data via users’ devices. We therefore advise you to ensure that your computer is equipped with appropriate software to protect data transmission on the internet, both incoming and outgoing (such as up-to-date antivirus systems), and that your Internet service provider has also adopted adequate security measures to protect network data transmission (such as a firewall and anti-spamming filters).
You are entitled, at any given moment, to have access to your personal data and information that you have already communicated to our company by yourselves (right to access).
Furthermore, you may always be entitled to request:
- updating, correction, and modification of your personal data (right to correction).
- having your personal data permanently deleted and eliminated (right to erasure), as long as law requirements are met.
- modifying to an anonymous form or excluding your personal data that are being used, including the data deemed unnecessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or subsequently processed (right to restriction of processing).
- receiving personal data, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, as well as have the right to transmit those data to another data processor in a safe and secure way (right to portability)
- In any case you have the right to totally or partially oppose (right to object) to the processing of your personal data if no overriding legitimate grounds for processing exist, especially if your data is used for advertising or direct marketing purposes or if it is used for commercial purposes or market research.
- for us to stop sending you our newsletter by clicking on the ‘unsubscribe’ link contained in the newsletter emails.
You may freely exercise your rights at any time by sending a written request to REPORTERS UNITED to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply promptly to accommodate your request, within a maximum period of one month.
To make sure that your personal data is always accurate, up-to-date, appropriate and complete, please inform us of any alterations to your data at email@example.com.
If you consider that your rights are violated in any way, you have the right to file a complaint to the Hellenic Data Protection Authority (www.dpa.gr – My rights – Submitting a complaint).
Links to websites of third parties
REPORTERS UNITED also uses third-party digital services, audiovisual media and social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter) and may use information from these multimedia sources on the Internet to assist, customise and improve our services offered to you. When we use information from these sources, we will respect the rights you have set regarding the ways in which you want your data to be used.
We recommend that you regularly review the privacy notifications and preferences settings available on any multimedia web channel, so that these may be applied according to your wishes (e.g. cookie settings, privacy settings for social media providers such as Facebook, etc).
Cookies Policy – Technology & Management
If you would like to get more information on how to manage certain types of cookies, including how to check or delete them, please visit: www.aboutcookies.org
Types of Cookies
The basic types of cookies that the website may use are described below:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary for our website to function properly. They allow you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas. Such cookies do not recognize your individual identification. Without these cookies, we cannot offer effective operation of our website, therefore these must be pre-selected.
- Functionality cookies: Functionality cookies allow the website to “remember” your choices, such as your username, language and region. This means we can provide you with enhanced, personalised features. Moreover, they help us provide services you have asked for, such as viewing a video or the use of social media. They do not enable us to track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Performance cookies: Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website, for instance which pages you visit more often, the keywords you use in search fields, the sites that you are interested in etc. All information collected by these cookies is aggregated. It is only used to improve our website’s performance.
- Google Analytics cookies: Google Analytics are performance analysis/record cookies that allow us to collect anonymous information on how visitors use our websites. Such cookies can inform us of the number of visitors using the website, the time and duration of their visit, and also provide us with information on how visitors navigate the various sections of the website (i.e. menu options). Such information helps us improve the way our website operates and our services to you as well. It is also anonymous information and does not contain any personal data.
- Traffic data cookies: We use traffic data processing cookies to track technical issues that might arise while you are browsing our website. Based on the information collected by these cookies, we adjust technical issues and problems and we constantly improve the services offered on our website. This enables us to better meet your personal needs.
Most web browsers allow you to control and configure cookies through your browser settings. You can see how, by clicking on your browser:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
If your browser is not listed or if you are using a mobile phone please visit: www.aboutcookies.org and consult this website for necessary actions. Moreover, all the aforementioned browsers are owned by other companies and we are not responsible for their content and accuracy.
Contact Reporters United
For any other clarification or additional information regarding the way Reporters United processes your personal data, or about the services we provide, you may contact us here:
Anaxagora Str. 3-5, PC 10552
November 11, 2022